Friday, October 05, 2007

Finns, the Prison, and Chinese Food

Since I started travelling with Saara, we keep running into Finnish people!! I've met more Finnish people in the last 2 weeks than I have in my entire life before!

Jeremy told Saara and I about an abandoned prison in Luang Prabang that I wanted to check out, so yesterday I set off to find it. After a long walk past a dog barbecue restaurant, many Mekong cafes, a guy playing the guitar on the back of a scooter, and many local men playing Pettanque, I failed. Fortunately, I met a very interesting man who is working for a UN agency here, and saw lots of baby chickens.

I love how quiet and French this town is. You can cross the road wiuthout looking, no one will try to rob you, and people are all relaxed.

In the evening, Jeremy left for Vang Vieng (sp??), and Saara and I went for Indian food in a restaurant owned by the grouciest looking Indian man ever. After we had ordered our food, a Chinese guy came in to look at the menu.
Chinese Man: Ahhh, what is this? Do you have Chinese food?
Indian Man: No, this is an Indian restaurant.
CM: Oh, but I like Chinese food.
IM: This is an Indian restaurant.
CM: (reading the menu). What is this?
IM: Indian food.
CM: Ohhh. Well, do you have anything like Chinese food?
IM: No.
(this goes on for 20 minutes. The CM does not like Chicken.)
CM: Oh, what is this?? (he comes over to our table to see what we are eating)
IM: (silent)
CM: (picks up Saara's fork to inspect her food)
IM: THAT'S CHICKEN!
CM: Oh, I don't like chicken.
IM: Okay, you order this (indicates something on the menu).
CM: No, I don't like chicken!
IM: (speaking Lao to someone outside)
In walks another Chinese man! This one speaks Lao and translates for the first Chinese man. The food is ordered. The CM talks to us and tells us that he works in a hospital in Phnom Penh. When I ask him if he is a doctor, he pauses, looks away and says "yes.".

Then we went to the Lao Lao Garden, had six Lao Lao cocktails, and I am never drinking Lao Lao again.

No comments: